National Customer Service Week this year is from October 1st through Oct 5th. During this time, we celebrate all things having to do with customer service. Did you know there is an annual Customer Service Week? Probably not. It started in 1992 when the U.S. Congress proclaimed the event to run every year. See how much you can learn from reading the More Than Perfect® blog?
Thousands of companies around the world, in every segment of the industry, celebrate this event. These companies are represented in all 50 states and in over 60 countries.
If you own or work in a business then you probably have customers. And if you don’t directly deal with customers, then you most likely work with and support someone who does. So whether you work on the front lines, the back office, the loading dock or the executive suite, you should be celebrating and be celebrated for all the work you do.
How should companies celebrate the week? Well, for one, they should start by making their customer service reps the stars and the main focus of the week. We all know that customer service is just one part of the customer experience, and getting it right is the fastest way to repeat business and gain customer loyalty.
A few suggestions to celebrate the week:
- Have a Wall of Fame where a different person or team can be spotlighted every day.
- Hold friendly competitions. These activities can include anything from an office Olympics to having carnival games brought into your office.
- Conduct fun training sessions.
- Food! Bring in coffee and bagels (or donuts), cater a lunch, have a barbeque, have cake in the afternoon. The possibilities are endless.
- Have a dress-up day.
- Spotlight employee talent and reward your employees for their hard work.
- Hold trivia contests.
- Hold a cooking competition.
- Have an “Oscar” type awards presentation.
- Give out small gifts.
- Decorate the office and give out prizes.
- Hold a photo contest.
- Have a different travel theme or destination every day.
- Invite unexpected guests or speakers to come in.
- Support worthy causes and charities.
And of course, don’t forget about your customers! Thank them for their loyalty with daily specials. Don’t be afraid to hand out “thank you” notes, or call your customers just to thank them. You can even create a video with your employees giving thanks to your customers, and placing it on your website or social media platforms.
It’s extremely important that everyone from the highest levels gets involved in the celebrations and events. Whether it’s giving speeches, leading a pep rally, or writing notes to employees, everyone likes to feel appreciated and know they make a difference. Getting the executives involved shows they care.
And to answer that age-old question…”Is the customer always right?”, I always say, no; the customer is not always right. However, it’s still always important to remember the customer is always the customer, and they should be treated as such. This will encourage them returning to your business.
National Customer Service Week is just one week a year, but your employees who deal with customers, as well as your customers themselves, should be celebrated all year round.